About the book
Bar codes as an Automated Data Collection tool facilitate collection of product related information throughout the supply chain as the product travels from its point of manufacture to its point of sale. In the time to come, bar codes would become mandatory for businesses, and there would be an urgent need to adopt this technology.
A first on the subject in India, Bar Codes: Technology and Implementation demystifies bar codes technology and provides inputs on choosing the right equipment for implementing bar code systems. Written in a simple and non-technical language, it brings to the fore the applications of bar codes in the area of manufacturing, distribution as well as in the development of management information systems.
Bar Codes: Technology and Implementation includes:
Detailed information on the popular Bar Code symbologies, i.e. UPC, EAN, Liner and 2D Symbologies.
The type of scanners to be used, the art of scanning and decoding, printing bar code labels.
The various kinds of printers, bar code verification software to be used and operating systems.
Cases and various applications of bar codes on planning and implementation.
The book addresses the many benefits of bar codes technology, useful for industries, institutions and government bodies. Managers and decision makers would find the book helpful in gaining an in-depth knowledge of the subject.
1. A general introduction to bar codes and its history, Auto ID technologies
2. Introduction to bar code technology 3. Different symbologies ? Linear, 2-Dimensional, Stacked, Matrix, composite:
Tips on choosing the Right Symbology
4. Scanning, decoding, Types of scanners: tips on choosing the right scanner
5. Printing bar code labels: tips on choosing the right printer 6. Bar code verification, software, operating systems: tips on choosing the
right software 7. Data communications ? interfacing bar code systems, Electronic Data
Interchange (EDI), Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
9. Justifying, planning and Implementing bar code systems 10. Benefits of introducing Bar Code for the Indian industries, Case studies,
Formation of National Numbering Organisation, EAN India Activities
Appendices: Appendix A:Addresses of Important Overseas Manufactures/Vendors of Bar Codes
Appendix B: Addresses of Indian Manufactures/Vendors of bar codes equipment
Appendix C: Addresses of important trade associations